Sunday 18 July 2010

I Got Me A Bilpie

Ugh. Is there anything more loathsome than comedy country records? What is it with these people?

Today's shameful exhibit comes from Buzz Cason - a respected name in music with a long and illustrious career as a singer, songwriter, producer and author. So how did he come to write and record this turd, a laugh riot (not!) about a hillbilly groupie, or Bilpie?

Cason was a founding members of The Casuals, Nashville's first rock and roll band. In 1960 he began his solo career under the pseudonym Garry Miles, securing his first Top 20 hit the same year with Look For A Star. He was also a backing singer for Elvis Presley and Kenny Rogers. His biggest hit (as co-writer) was with Everlasting Love, originally recorded by Robert Knight but which became a Number 1 hit in the UK for The Love Affair in 1968. he also co-wrote Knight's follow up, the brilliant Love On A Mountain Top, another huge UK hit.

In 1970, he founded the Creative Workshop recording studio, where Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, The Judds, The Doobie Brothers, Emmylou Harris and Olivia Newton-John have recorded material. Now 70, Cason is still writing and producing songs and his book, Living the Rock 'N' Roll Dream (2004), is about the events and careers that shaped the early days of rock and roll. His latest album, Working Without A Net, was released recently.

Buzz, I could forgive you just about anything for having a hand in writing songs as great as the Robert Knight singles, but this is just horrible. Welcome to the World's Worst Records - on the strength of this sorry song you deserve to be here.

4 comments:

  1. That was pretty bad.
    I also have one on the Mega label called "My mama smoked marijuana" By "The Reefers."
    I actually think it's funny in a stupid kind of way.

    Hear it here: http://wopbopaloobopalopbamboom.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-mama-smoked-marijuana.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Jeff - and for your excellent site, which I've added to my links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for posting this! I has a 7" of this when I was a kid. This was such a gawdawful song! My brother eventually broke it as he HATED it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And.....I might add, Buzz was a member of Ronny and The Daytonas. They really hit it big,with the hit tune, "GTO". Great site!

    ReplyDelete

WWR Most Popular Posts