Friday 19 October 2012

The Reco Wreckage


I am indebted to World’s Worst Record’s reader Mikael for bringing today’s slice of audio horror to my attention.


Released in by Odeon in 1971, Jolly Jolly Buddy Buddy and the even more perverse B-side Molly Cow Teddy Puff (which, even if it is billed as one composition on the disc's label, is clearly two distinct 'songs') appear to be the only tracks recorded by Reco – an obscure Swedish vocalist of whom I know very little. I can tell you that his real name was Reijo Kääriäinen and, under his own name, he released a further 45 in Finland in 1978, Pahalta Tää Kaikki Näyttää/Kuka Mä Oon? Which I believe translates as something like All the Evil In the World/Who Am I? But I’ve no doubt that some of you can put me right.
 

Like the previously featured Prisencolinensinainciusol, Reco’s record is sung in what appears to be fake English. It seems that Reco played most of the instruments on the tracks, with Ulf Andersson on flute and Ulf Söderholm on drums. Both songs were produced by Tommy Hallden who, in the 50s and 60s, fronted his own band The Rocking'Jupiters. And that’s where it ends. Swedish website sunkit.com has been trying to get to the bottom of this mystery for years. Contributor Magnus Nilsson has corresponded with Reco’s drummer, Ulf Söderholm but he has absolutely no memory of performing on the disc.
 

All I know is that this is brilliantly baffling and I need to own a copy.

 
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Crumbs, not quite an inspiration for Abba. Reco certainly had his own style if not music genre. Thanks for exposing me to this aberration of pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't laughed that hard to a record since...well, I don't think I ever have! Thank you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done some digging, and it appears that he released another recording using his given name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9ngsatCeo

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Contributor Magnus Nilsson has corresponded with Reco’s drummer, Ulf Söderholm but he has absolutely no memory of performing on the disc"

    He has probably subconsciously removed it from his memory!

    ReplyDelete

WWR Most Popular Posts